Being maternity photographers in Tampa, we are blessed to have many gorgeous locations that serve as perfect backdrops for portrait sessions. Philippe Park in Safety Harbor is a location we've been using for many years due to the variety of backdrops in a small area. There are gorgeous Spanish moss-filled oak trees, stone steps and walls, tall grass, open fields, and even a small beach.
We were excited to bring Jenni and Justin to Philippe Park so we could explore some of these options and capture the beauty of expecting. We know it is a cliché, but Jenni was positively glowing! And the light was incredible. We know just the right times of day to do photo shoots at Philippe Park for the best light. Great light makes for flattering photos that are simply gorgeous.
Jenni took our advice and brought a second outfit. This is a great idea because having different looks for any portrait session allows for the opportunity to use the photo for different purposes, express different moods and it is great to have a backup outfit in case you're not thrilled with how your first choice photographs. Sometimes, it is hard to know until you see the photos.
MATERNITY PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS
1) Every pregnancy is different, but we recommend between 32 and 36 weeks for you maternity photo session. This allows for your beautiful baby bump to be showing and you can still be comfortable posing during your session.
2) We offer hair styling and makeup services. This will ensure you feel and look your best for your session. A professional stylist will consider the location of the session and what will look best in photos.
3) Plan ahead. Make sure you have clothing, shoes and accessory choices pick at least several days in advance. We offer maternity gowns for your session. Do any ironing the day before the session.
4) Eat before your session, but not a big meal. Make sure you are hydrated and bring water. Don't drink too much before your session so we don't have to stop the flow with too many bathroom breaks.
5) Bring more than 1 outfit. Here are things to consider:
For undergarments, choose a neutral color strapless bra and seamless underwear
If you want to show off that belly, choose a crop or bandeau top.
Choose a buttoned down shirt rather than a pullover shirt - again so you can show some of your belly if you like.
You can opt for a long, flowing or form-fitted dress. We often have moms-to-be pick one of each for their sessions.
For the winter months a cardigan sweater is a good choice.
For men's clothing, remember it is mom's time to shine. A neutral color button down with pants or nice jeans will work.
In couple and family maternity sessions, coordinate, but don't match outfits.
Feel free to bring baby's ultrasound image, baby shoes or an outfit, letters/initials of baby's name, etc. But with props remember less is more.
6) Listen to calming and/or romantic music on the way over.
7) Be ready to get close! We definitely recommend including your spouse/partner during your session. It's a great opportunity to express and share your joy! For couple and family maternity sessions, we will be posing you close together so we can feel the love.